Problems with Your Water Service

Common Issues

Low Pressure
Water pressure varies within the city. If you notice lower than normal pressure, please contact the Water Plant at 641-257-6315. Try to have the following information ready when you call.

  • How long have you experienced this problem?
  • Have you had any plumbing work done in the home recently? (If you have and the problem is isolated to a single faucet, check the aerator for debris.)
  • Are you aware of any construction work in your area or neighborhood?
No Water
The most common reason for being without water is due to the water department doing work on the distribution system. However, anytime you are without water and don't know why, please contact the Water Plant or City Hall. Be ready to answer the following questions.

  • When did you first experience this problem?
  • Do you live in an apartment?  If so, you should contact the manager to learn if they are doing any plumbing work within the building.
  • Are you aware if any of your neighbors have the same problem?
  • Is it cold out? If so, you may have frozen pipes. It may help to open cupboard doors below sinks in the kitchen and bathrooms.
Main Breaks
If you suspect a water main is broken in your neighborhood, contact the Water Plant at 641-257-6315 or City Hall at 641-257-6300. Please provide the best information that you can to help us locate the leak as quickly as possible once we arrive.

If a main break occurs in your neighborhood, the City crew will work quickly to make the repair and restore water service. Due to the urgency of these situations, we make the repair process our top priority. Occasionally, this means water service may be interrupted for periods of time without prior notification.

When the water comes back on
There will likely be air in your water service piping when the water is turned back on. It is a good idea to run water from a faucet that does not have an aerator screen.  Bathtubs and hosed bibs are good places to run water.  Open faucets slowly to allow the air to escape.  Air will make a spurting or hissing sound as it escapes through the faucet.  Once the water is flowing, allow the faucet to run for a minute or two.  The water may be cloudy at first due to air in the water or particles that dislodged as the pipes filled with water.
If kitchen or bathroom faucets do not perform normally following a water outage it may be necessary to remove the aerator screen.  Typically the aerator can simply be unscrewed from the faucet. Inspect the screen for small particles and rinse away any you find. Reinstall the aerator and test the performance of the faucet again.

Water Leaks
The City is responsible for leaks in the distribution system.  Customers are responsible for any problems beginning at the corporation stop (where your service line connects to the water main).
To report a leaking water meter inside your home, please call City Hall at 641-257-6300 to schedule an appointment to have your water meter repaired or replaced. There is no charge to have the meter replaced, unless the meter has been damaged by customer neglect.  It is the responsibility of the homeowner to repair water leaks coming from the shutoff valve near the water meter.