- Utility Billing
To apply for water service to be put into your name you must fill out an Utility Application which is available at City Hall between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. The application process requires a piece of photo identification for identity theft purposes and a deposit, which is refundable after 12 months of timely payments, unless you can provide a letter of credit from a utility that you have had in your name for at least the last 12 months with one or less late payments.
Water billing is typically mailed out on the 10th of the month for the previous month’s actual usage and is due the first business day of the following month. Bills fall delinquent on the sixth of the month when a 1.5% penalty is added and a delinquent notice is mailed to the customer (the delinquent notice adds a cost of $3). The delinquent notice gives customers an additional two weeks to pay the past due balance. If the bill is still delinquent then a tag is delivered to the property that gives the customer an additional 24 hours to pay their past due balance before shutoff takes place (however, there is an additional $25 fee for the tag that is delivered).
Once a property has had the water shut off it requires the bill in full and a reconnect fee to be paid to get the service reconnected. Reconnects are done during the regular business hours of the water plant from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. Reconnect fee is $50 prior to 3:00 p.m. After 3:00 pm., the reconnect fee is $100.
The city also offers the option of having your utility bill automatically withdrawn from your checking or savings account - just stop by City Hall and fill out the ACH Form. Other payment options for your utility bill include the drop box, which is located near the rear of City Hall just before you turn the corner to drive behind the Charles City Press building. Customers can also make payments at Hy-Vee customer service desk. Payments made at Hy-Vee do not reach City Hall until the next business day. Online payments can also be made with a credit or debit card. Click on the online payment tab on the home page of the website to use this option. There is a convenience fee of $1.95 for each credit card transaction and $1.50 for each debit card transaction.
Charges on your utility bill are:
- Water - There is an access fee charged by the size of the meter you have providing your service, plus charges for the number of gallons used (billed by thousands of gallons used). Per ordinance, these rates increase 3 1/2% each July 1.
- Sewer - There is an access fee charged to be hooked to the service, plus a charge for the number of gallons of used (billed by thousands of gallons of water used). Per ordinance, these rates increase 3 1/2% each July 1.
- Garbage - Jendro Sanitation is contracted by the City of Charles City for garbage and recycling pickup. Wheeled totes are used for both garbage and recycling with garbage being a weekly pickup and recycling being picked up every other week. The monthly fees include both garbage and recycling and are as follows: 35 gallon - $12, 65 gallon - $15 and 95 gallon - $18. All garbage must be bagged before putting in the tote and you can use any type of bag, you do not have to use the orange bags. If you do have any extra bagged garbage that won't fit in your tote, you can use the orange bags to set those out alongside your tote for pickup. We just ask that you do not make a habit of doing so or you may be switched to the next size tote. The totes will remain the property of Jendro Sanitation and should remain with the property. Please place your totes at least 4 feet apart curbside to allow for the equipment to pickup the totes. You can switch the size of your tote up to twice a year without any penalty and changes will go into effect at the first of the month following the change. Any changes to your size of tote need to be conveyed to city hall. If your tote gets damaged, you need to contact Jendro Sanitation at 641-228-3525. You can also contact Jendro Sanitation to find out which day your garbage and recycling will be picked up.
- Waste Fund - This $2.90 fee is for spring cleanup. Spring cleanup is typically conducted for three days in late April allowing customers to put out larger items for pickup as allowed by the flier distributed in April.
- Stormwater Utility - There is a flat fee of $4.